What sort of things? Well, in the spirit of the Spring Break that many of you are hopefully enjoying right about now, I thought I’d treat this post like the back-to-school assignment we all likely remember from our elementary school days. Here are a few of the happenings that have kept me hopping since my last post:
- Onboarding, both as a new employee AND as a hiring manager at the day job
- Built new processes at the day job to deepen the learning footprint within the organization
- Did some consultation work with some terrific organizations and presented at a few industry conferences
- Launched an eBook (grab a copy for your Kindle today!)
- Co-authored an article for TD magazine with my friend Brian from Train Like a Champion
- Cheered on my kids as they ran (distance – boy) and threw (shot put/discus – girl) on their cross country and track teams
- Helped my daughter finalize college plans, watched her graduate from high school and ultimately moved her to college (I’m still recovering from this one)
- Vacationed with the family in New York City
- Spent some time at the beach on Lake Michigan
- Bought a new house…sold our old one (yes, in that order)
- Prepared for upcoming, conferences, events, speaking engagements and writing projects
- Accomplished quite a bit of work done with my local ATD chapter board
- Joined the Board of Directors with Girls Incorporated of Shelby County (Indiana)
- Celebrated with my team as we were included in the 2016 Training Magazine Top 125 (on our first try, nonetheless!)
- Checked off 2 of my last 5 U.S. states to visit (Kansas & Oklahoma) — only 3 states left! (You hear that, North Dakota, Oregon and Alaska?? I’m comin’ for ya!!)
- Welcomed a sweet little French Bulldog puppy (Brooks) into our family, who immediately made himself at home…….
For you puppy fanatics out there, Brooks is on Instagram (yes, I’m that person). You can follow his adorable puppy shenanigans and watch him grow at brooksmeetsworld.
Finally, somewhere in the middle of all that, I turned 40. Holy Moses, that’s still hard to believe.
Long story short, if there was ever a year to hit the reset button, 2015 (and the start of 2016) was the year to do it.
So, reset, I did. Whew..
In spite of stepping away from my regular musings here at phase(two)learning, certain fundamental things remain:
- I’m excited about the current landscape of organizational learning and talent development, and feel luckier than ever to have a front-row seat.
- I’m challenged by effectively sharing a compelling story with leaders on how investing in onboarding and employee development makes a difference.
- I’m inspired to dust off my laptop and jump back into the conversation. Stay tuned for fresh phase(two)learning content – I appreciate your patience, continued interest and support!
So, about that conversation, friends……
What’s on your mind right now? Leave a comment or drop me a note. Let’s catch up!